Thursday, November 3, 2011

Chocolate Tart

I was thinking that Lolita Darling was lacking a bit of chocolate lately.. sure, we have the chocolate muffins but they aren't gooey, rich and decadent. I perused a few food blogs and found a great-looking recipe for a chocolate tart and knew I had to attempt it immediately.

Here you go

It's a chocolate tart with a hazelnut crust, a baked ganache filling and a smooth silky ganache glaze.

I'd use a good-quality chocolate like Valrhona or Schaffen berger, but I am a broke student.

The recipe asks for dark chocolate to be whisked with sugar, but the end product is still pretty bittersweet which is just the way I (really) like it. If you're more comfortable with a less bitter chocolate however, you could use semisweet.

Peek-a-boo! Gonna strip you right down baby

Baked the crust, then poured the filling and baked again. Covered it with glaze afterwards. 
See those bumps? That's where I kept poking it to taste the glaze.

Let's be honest here. The crust is ugly. Three reasons: a) I don't have a food processor so the biscuits didn't really crumble evenly when I smashed it with my bare hands, b) I didn't cover the edges with a thin foil so they're more cooked and c) I don't have a tart pan! This is a pie pan. Eventually I realised I also did not press the crust down thinner, so I had an unbalanced ratio of crust to chocolate.

Sliced for consumption

The end product. I'm sorry I'm not that much of a food connoisseur! If you're not a Fancy Nancy and is cool with anything that ends up in your mouth good and delicious, you'd find that the very rich chocolate filling is actually delicious with loads of biscuit-y crust.


A better look at how ridiculously thick the crust is. But here is my theory:

All is good when your mouth is full of food.

Happy baking everyone!



Chocolate Tart
Adapted from Delight Dulce

Ingredients
Crust:
1 cup ground graham cracker (I used digestive biscuits)
3/4 cup whole hazelnuts ground - no skin (you can buy them already ground)
1/4 cup cocoa powder
4 tbsp confectionery sugar
5 tbsp unsalted butter - melted
Filling:
1 1/4 cup heavy cream
250g or 9oz bittersweet chocolate- no more than 65%
2 large eggs
1 tbs vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
Glaze:
2 tbsp heavy cream
55g or 2oz bittersweet chocolate - same one used above
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp warm water

Preheat oven to 180C.

Crust: Combine ground crackers, hazelnuts, cocoa, sugar. Add melted butter and mix until it holds a shape when pressed. Press into a tart pan, bake for 10 minutes and let cool.
Filling: Heat cream to a boil, pour over chocolate and let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk, add eggs, vanilla and salt, then whisk again till smooth. Pour into crust and bake for 20-25 minutes, then let cool for half an hour.
Glaze: While tart is cooling, bring cream to a boil as above, and pour over chocolate. Add honey and water then whisk till smooth. Pour over tart and rotate to cover the whole circumference. Cool and enjoy with a glass of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails