Saturday, September 24, 2011

Failed Macarons

*Big sigh*.

So this weekend I had attempted to make macarons for the very first time. I got a little ambitious and wanted to make two batches, one chocolate and one some other funky flavour, but I didn't even pass the first batch.

Just look at all this spoilt cookies:


This is from the first batch, it was too runny and I piped them on too big, so they kind of spread and joined each other.

Second batch, and I had piped them on perfectly!

Let them sit for an hour till a hard shell develops then proceed to bake.

Alas!

They were stuck on the parchment paper and proceeded to break.


They did have the little 'feet' at the bottom though.


Dang. You'd think the batter was wasted. However it didn't hinder me from eating macaron batter *embarrassed*. Those three spots on in the picture went into my mouth.

I looked at possible reasons my macarons failed and found something on Serious Eats:
  
A Few Tips
  • Sift your ingredients, multiple times if necessary. You want your ground nuts to be powdery. No lumps! Almond and icing sugar mixture may be pulsed in a food processor to make finer.
  • Use old egg whites. No really, leave them out for three days at room temperature if you don't mind waiting for that long. Using fresh egg whites is more likely to result in macarons that are too fragile and flat.
  • To make it easier to remove the macarons from the parchment paper after baking, pour a little bit of water underneath the paper. After a while the steam will have loosened the macarons.

Ah! Some helpful little pointers to help me along! I'm definitely not going to give up and trying them again this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails